Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

fall 2009


I didn’t think anyone ever read my blog, but I got a request for an update, so I’ll try to hit the highlights of my fall so far...

School

I met with my advisor the other day to begin registering for spring 2010. The process was way more difficult than I expected because I had holds that kept me from registering. For one, I hadn’t sent my immunization records to student health. (I was supposed to do that?) Thankfully, my mom hiked across the street to my pediatrician and got those records. My second hold was for lack of final transcript from UNC. I specifically remembered sending a transcript once my degree was posted, so we (myself and Ms. Cox) called the graduate school office and once they found record of my transcript, they took off that hold. Although the people I talked to on the phone weren’t always the best, most people I’ve met who work in administrative positions at ECU are so nice. Ms. Cox found numbers, called offices, and let me know that she would register me whenever I got my records and that I would definitely get the classes I need. Once my shot records got here, I left my form with her and she registered me and emailed me to let me know I was registered. Also, great news – when I was meeting with my advisor, she said she’s seen my records and wants me to be in the master’s program next year. That makes applying feel like it’s for a reason. I submitted my online application yesterday, but I need some more motivation to send transcripts, personal statement, recommendations, etc. I already have all of these things from last year, so I just have to send them.

Flying

I have logged 34 hours total to date. The minimum to get a private pilot’s license by Part 61 is 40 hours. Don’t let that deceive you, though; I still have way more than six hours’ worth of training to do! This past Monday, I practiced maneuvers yet again – steep turns, stalls, and slow flight. I need to work on those more before I do them solo. I FLEW MY FIRST SOLO OCTOBER 14, 2009. How could I forget?! Below is a picture of me with the Diamond 20 I soloed. The first few solos are just takeoffs and landings, which are what I did that day and one other time since then. Lord willing, I will someday solo away from the airport, but I should probably learn how to use a GPS to get back to the airport first. Though I feel far, far away from being ready for my practical exam, I am well on my way to taking the written exam. I’ve been going to a ground school class at Pitt Community College since early September, and I’m so happy that it is finally ending! Tonight we are reviewing everything, Thursday night we are taking a final exam, and then we’ll be done. If I’ve done well enough in the class, the instructor will sign me off to take the FAA’s written exam at a testing center. If I haven’t done well enough in the class, my dad is a certified flight instructor and he will sign me off. I have yet to study for a test in this class – could that be why?? Anyway, I’m going to hit my Gleim practice book hard and get ready to impress the FAA with my vast private pilot aeronautical knowledge.

Tentatively coming soon: getting back to my blog’s roots and posting on literature.

No comments: