Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

pumpkin cinnamon roll... cake?

I saw this recipe the other day on Eat Live Run at the same time that B texted me to ask what I was doing. When I wrote back, "looking at a recipe for vegan pumpkin cinnamon rolls," his response was "!!!!!!!!!!" so I figured it was a go. B is allergic to dairy, so I get excited about a vegan recipe. However, I did not make this vegan because I used an egg instead of chia seeds. I'm not really sure where you get those chia seeds, but it is the same chia as chia pets. Fun fact.

Well. Fast forward to a couple weeks later. I finally compiled the ingredients, thanks to my mom and Whole Foods. By the way, the new North Raleigh location makes me even more excited to move home in December! I attempted the recipe just in time for my roommate's birthday (she was excited about the recipe too). Then I tried to make them. Twice. Y'all, this recipe says it takes 3 hours, so trying twice cost my busy grad student schedule dearly.

I can't even remember the last time I have made something that didn't turn out right. And I regularly deviate from recipes! Why now?? With attempt 1, I added the yeast to the milk mixture when it was too hot. The dough didn't rise, and I considered that my house was too cold for it to rise, but I knew what I had done. At least I could salvage the ingredients for the filling and the icing. On attempt 2, I let the milk mixture cool for a few minutes and tested it with my finger before adding the yeast. The dough rose! But then I tried to knead it. The recipe gives directions for kneading and for using a Kitchen Aid, so I really wonder how it would turn out with the mixer. Do not turn the dough out onto your counter, even heavily floured, even with extra flour on standby, even with greased hands. Just stir it in the bowl. The dough is way too sticky to knead. No matter what I did, it stuck all over my hands and counter. Clearly that was problematic for making cinnamon rolls. Roll the dough out on the counter, add filling, roll up? Not possible. The dough smelled delicious, and I'd invested about 5 hours, so I was not giving up. I spread half of the dough in a cake pan, then spread the cinnamon sugar mixture, then topped it with the rest of the dough. I baked it just slightly longer than the recipe said to, and what came out was wonderful! It might have been the tastiest thing I've ever cooked. B and the birthday girl agreed.

Lessons learned:
If you see steam, it's too hot to add yeast.
If dough appears sticky, do not touch it with your hands or dump it on your counter.
Improvise. Do not waste ingredients.
I need a kitchen thermometer and Kitchen Aid mixer. (read: I need to get married.)
Until I get a camera, these posts are going to be really anticlimactic.

No comments: