Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

banana chocolate chip muffins


Yesterday, B brought me a big bag of sweet potatoes from a roadside stand and five overripe bananas. Those are the kind of gifts I like. More on the sweet potatoes later -- I signed up to bring sweet potatoes to my class Thanksgiving dinner this Thursday. Instead of studying, I used my break today to bake. I wanted my mom's banana bread, but without loaf pans, I turned to this muffin recipe. I have made it once before, and I found that the muffins freeze well. I changed the recipe a little, so here's what I did:

1/2 c vegan butter (1 stick)
1/2 c packed brown sugar
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t kosher salt
1 1/2 t vanilla extract
3 mashed bananas
1/4 c honey
2 eggs
1 c whole wheat flour
1 c all purpose flour
3/4 c chocolate chips

Cream together the butter, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and vanilla extract. Stir in the bananas, honey, and eggs. Gently stir in the chocolate chips and flour. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. It made 12 muffins when I filled the cups full.

The first time I made these, I used 2 c whole wheat flour as in the original recipe. They were very dense, so I subbed in all purpose for half of the whole wheat flour. I like the result even better this time around. There's still the whole wheat taste, but they are lighter.

No comments: