Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

simplifying - on the internet


I am trying to simplify my life in 2012 in several ways.  The urge to purge heightened when I moved home --  It's great to have all of my stuff in one place finally, but it's so so so much stuff.  My simplification has taken three forms so far: having less stuff, spending less money, and doing less on the internet.

Today I'll hit the highlights of online simplification.  Yes, I realize it's ironic to blog about doing less on the internet.  But in this way, I have not simplified by using the internet less; I have organized what I do on the internet in a better way, and I have accessed the internet in fewer ways.  What does that mean?  First, I have decreased the number of emails that I get regularly by unsubscribing from lists.  I appreciate my friends inviting me to great deals from Gilt and Rue La La, for example, and I like things that I find on One Kings Lane, but despite having subscriptions to these websites, I never bought anything from them.  I don't need to spend the money, and I don't have a house to decorate.  Secondly, I deactivated Facebook.  I've considered getting off of Facebook for a while, but applying for jobs was the motivation I needed to finally do it.  After I get hired, I plan to log on, save the photos that I only have on Facebook (not in an album on my computer), and quit for good.  Hold me to this one!  I still have an internet presence through Twitter, Blogger, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Phi Mu Bloom, but that’s less than it used to be.  Each of those accounts is either something that I feel necessary for my career or something that I really enjoy. 
 
Any suggestions for simplifying your online life?






No comments: