Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2008

people watching

Anyone who knows my mom and brother knows that they are major people-watchers. Somehow, I did not develop the people-watching trait. Anyone who is on this trip with me knows that Lindsay and I are always together. Lindsay is totally a people-watcher, too. In this case, we find that it's working out well for us. We compare notes at the end of every day, and between the two of us, we can learn and see twice as much as either of us could alone. See, I am the nerd who reads the guidebook ahead of time and knows to look for the chip on Moses' knee from when Michelangelo became frustrated and threw his chisel, asking the statue, "Why don't you speak?" Lindsay notices the tiny two-foot-tall woman or the man with no arms or the fact that Ms. Bostic isn't wearing her wedding ring today or the guards at the Church of St. Peter in Chains. That is something I forgot about yesterday! We went to the Church of St. Peter in Chains. At the front of the church, there are chains that are all attached so they never end, to represent the chains that Peter was in two (?) times in his life. This church is also really special because it has the statue of Moses by Michelangelo. Moses is surrounded by four other statues, I don't know who they are, though. Michelangelo first carved Moses's face looking upwards to represent him receiving the 10 Commandments from God, then, he carved his face looking downwards to represent him bringing them down to the people. There was supposed to be light radiating from Moses's face and head, but due to a mistranslation from Greek to Aramaic, the statue Moses has two horns. Michelangelo looked at corpses to learn the human anatomy, and it shows in Moses's realistic looking muscles.

No comments: