A couple of years ago, I got really into Martha Stewart's website. As I looked at lists of handmade gift ideas for Christmas, I found her how-to on bow ties. Now, most people either love or hate bow ties. I like them on certain people; if you're into it, I say go for it. It so happens that B likes them and also likes the idea of me/my mom making clothes for him, especially (!!!) when they're monogrammed. Well, the project took a few years between my laziness and mom's getting a new embroidery machine. We finally finished the tie in time for him to wear the lovely tartan to his church's Christmas eve service.
a few from B's collection
L to R: handmade by me, Land's End, Vineyard Vines, Southern Proper, Southern Proper, Voila! Press
It is made for B's size, rather than being adjustable, and monogrammed. Yes, his collar hides the monogram, but can you imagine trying to tie it so a monogram on the bow would sit right side up and out?! That was my thinking at least.
Steps were something like this:
1. Lay out one of B's bow ties (adjusted to his size) on tracing paper and trace.
2. Add 1/4" around the tracing and cut out pattern.
3. Pin pattern to fabric - on the bias - and cut out.
4. Iron on interfacing.
5. Monogram.
6. Sew together, leaving openings on the narrow part near each end. (Mom did this part.)
7. Turn right side out. This is the most difficult step.
8. Hand stitch the openings closed. (Mom did this part.)
9. Try on and be impressed that you made a bow tie AND know how to tie it on yourself.


1 comment:
Okay this is seriously amazing! How talented are you!
Post a Comment