Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

July 8

First order of business, we went to the Musee d'Orsay with Agnes as our tour guide. We focused the tour on the impressionists and post-impressioninsts. Mostly, I saw a lot of paintings by Monet, Renoir, and Van Gogh. We also looked at pointalism paintings, made up entirely of dots, which were cool.

We had some free time after the museum, so Lindsay, Amy, and I went to the Musee d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris. The modern art is so completely different from everything before 1900. Agnes was telling us how the Orsay is a continuation of the Louvre, and then we saw the art continue past that in the modern art museums. A few of the paintings were pretty, and there was some fabric art that I had to really examine to figure out how it was done. Some weird exhibits, though - like a room full of piles of old clothes, and a room full of phone books from all over the world. After our second museum of the day, we went shopping and took a lot of notes for international retailing. We finally made it to the Herve Chapelier store.

Last event of the day was seeing a ballet at the Opera house. The costumes and dancing were beautiful. The part I actually saw (between an occluded view and fighting to stay awake) was great. Afterwards, we went the wrong way on the metro, then Lindsay realized that she left her nalgene at the opera house. We had to go back that way, so we went to look, but no one was there anymore. When we got back to the apartment, we worked on our sketches again. I can't wait for these projects to be over!

No comments: